Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Family Recipe to Pass Down: Cream Cheese Pound Cake

I mentioned earlier in the blog that I am trying to take time to cook with my daughter. However, I do have an ulterior motive. I want her to be able to cook the family recipes that I have grown to love so that those flavors can help shape her life. (And be able to cook for me when I can't and know that it will be edible! Ha!)

My mother provided me with this recipe. It was a recipe my great-aunt shared with her at one of the family gatherings that I had growing up.

Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of butter (margarine is fine) softened/room temperature
3 cups of sugar
1  8 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 eggs (my mother uses 4*)
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla (vanilla butter & nut preferred)
1 tsp. almond flavoring


Tools:

Method:

Cream margarine/butter and cream cheese together.

Add eggs one at a time beating well.

Stop and stir as necessary.

Sift flour.



Add it to the mixture.  Add about a cup at the time.  Stop and stir as needed.  Add flavoring.  (Stir flavoring in by hand. Whatever you prefer.)

  Cook in two loaf pans or in a tube pan (bundt). Do not preheat the oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours on 300 degrees Fahrenheit. (Watch your stove. We have gas and it seems to cook much faster, so I cook it for 1 1/4 hours instead so my cake isn't dry.)


Take it out of the oven and allow about 10 minutes to cool before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment