Sunday, January 11, 2015

Homemade Salsa


I love tomatoes. Anyone who knows me knows I love tomatoes...red, juicy, acidic tomatoes...the redder the better!  However a close second is a great salsa. I am particularly picky when it comes to salsas. It has to have a certain flavor and texture.

This recipe is quick and easy. It came from a family friend who shared her salsa recipe with us and I had to have it. And I haven't stopped making it since.  In fact, I make it about every week to two weeks, depending on what our weekly dinners consist of...or my late night stress eating needs when I stay up late working on work related projects.

Homemade Salsa

1/4 - 1/2 of medium sized onion (too much onion is too much for me)
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 regular can of Rotel tomatoes (original...can substitute store brand)
1 can of petite diced tomatoes with or without salt added

Place chunk of onion in food processor or blender. Follow safety rules for food processor or blender in order to operate correctly. Blend enough to chop to medium to small pieces. Do not puree. Add the rest of the ingredients. Blend together more or less for chunky or thinner salsa depending on your preference. Serve immediately.

Refrigerate up to 5 days what is left in a sealed container.

Serve with tortilla chips, tacos, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment